Jailbreaking has always been a mainstay for so many iOS users but, when Apple put a stop to it with iOS 8, most believed it would only be temporary. However, it took many years for developers to find the right exploits to start building their jailbreak utilities again, but now we have several excellent ones to choose from. Because we went so long without a jailbreak, many newer iOS users don’t know what Cydia is and what it provides them. Cydia is the jailbreak app store, and it is the only way for users to modify their devices how they want them, not how Apple dictates they should be. It’s completely free and offers plenty of features, so read on to see what it’s all about.
How to Download Cydia
You can only download Cydia in one way, and that’s by installing a jailbreak. Now we have several good utilities so open the Cydia Installer Page, where you will find details of all the utilities, together with information about what devices and firmware are supported. Click on one that will work for you and you will get a full download guide with links.
How to Use Cydia
Once you have installed it, Cydia is easy to use. It has a user-friendly interface and the home page contains the following options:
- Sources – here, you can find a list of every source installed, including the third-party one you added. You can also edit them and add new ones from here.
- Search – here, you can find any library, mod, tweak, video apps, or anything else you want to install on your device from Cydia.
- Installed – here, you can find everything you have installed from Cydia
- Changes – here, you can see and apply any updates for your installed Cydia content
How to Add a New Repo Source:
Cydia already has a number of pre-installed sources, all offering pretty much everything you need to modify your device. However, you can add third-party sources but you should be aware that this is at your own risk, as not all will be safe to use:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on Sources
- Tap on Edit > Add
- A URL box will appear – type in the repository URL
- Tap on Add Source and wait – Cydia will install your repository
How to Download Tweaks
Downloading tweaks from Cydia is simple:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on Search
- Type in the name of the tweak you want to install
- Make sure that the tweak supports your device and firmware
- Tap on Confirm
- Tap on Restart Springboard and your tweak will be installed
How to Delete a Tweaks
Deleting a tweak is simple, just follow these steps:
- Launch Cydia
- Tap on Installed
- Tap on Recent
- Tap the name of the tweak that you want to delete
- Tap on Modify>Remove
- Tap on Confirm
- Tap on Restart Springboard and your tweak will be removed
What Does Cydia Offer?
Cydia offers all the tools you need to circumvent Apple’s security and have your device work how you want it to. You can also install content you cannot get from the official app store. Here’s what you can get:
- Themes – tons of cool themes to change aspects of how your device looks
- Tweaks – tons of tweaks to help you change things like the fonts, icons, lock screen, messaging app, and much more
- Apps – tons of apps that give stock features some new functionality, such as changing the way your lock screen works, what your app switcher does, what your messaging apps do, and more
- Lock Screen Themes – change how your lock screen works and decide what you want to see on it
Cydia gives you control of what your device can do rather than letting Apple dictate everything. A good example of this control is in Wi-Fi-only apps. With a tweak from Cydia, you can fool your device into thinking it is on Wi-Fi when it is on data, leaving you free to use Wi-Fi-only apps whenever you want, even when you don’t have Wi-Fi connection.
Frequently Asked Questions
Many iOS users are not aware of what Cydia is, not surprising, given that it has only recently come back into our lives. The commonly asked questions below tell you everything you need to know.
What is Cydia?
Developed in 2008 by Jay Freeman (Saurik), Cydia is an unofficial app store, released first as an alternative to Apple’s first attempt at an app store, install the app. Now it is the most popular unofficial app store in the world, offering all the tools you need to change your device to work how you want it, and have your apps working the way you want them to.
Why Download Cydia App?
Because it is the only way to take control of your device back from Apple. Here’s what you can do with Cydia:
- Change the way your device looks and works with themes, tweaks, and other apps
- Give existing features new functionality
- Give stock apps new features
- Download unofficial content
- Tins of ringtones, wallpapers, themes, iBooks, and more
How Do I Install Cydia?
By using one of the new jailbreak utilities
Is it Free?
Yes. Jailbreak utilities have always been free and they will continue to be free
Is Cydia Safe?
So long as you only use the provided links to download your jailbreak then yes, Cydia is safe. You should also use only the preinstalled sources for your tweaks as some third-party ones may not be safe.
Is Cydia Legal
Yes. In 2012, the Library of Congress ruled it legal in the USA and most other places have now followed suit.
Are All the Tweaks Free?
Not all but the vast majority are. You are under no obligation to buy paid tweaks nor do you have to donate where you see a Donate button on an app or tweak.
Are There Any Cydia Alternatives?
Yes, but you don’t install a jailbreak to install them. These are unofficial stores that offer third-party content but few tweaks and they won’t work in the same way Cydia does. However, these stores, such as TutuApp and Panda Helper, do offer an idea of what jailbreaking would be like.
What is a Repository?
A repository is a storage place for apps and tweaks and Cydia comes with some very good ones already installed. You can also add third-party sources but you do so at your own risk.
You can delete Cydia quite easily. Either restore your device to the latest firmware using iTunes or download Cydia Impactor from Cydia and delete Cydia while keeping your current firmware.
Cydia has always been popular and always will be. Install it on your device today and see what it can do for you.